Women who are suffering from PCOS will want to know how to lose belly fat. Wait a minute. What is PCOS and how is it related to belly fat? Let’s find out in this short post.
How to Lose Belly Fat: PCOS Defined
What is PCOS? PCOS or polycystic ovary syndrome is a hormonal disorder that affects women of childbearing age. When a woman has PCOS, she has higher level of male hormones. In addition to that, she is also insulin-resistant. For this reason, PCOS is dubbed as the “diabetes of the ovaries”.
Many women know that having PCOS means that weight loss is a constant challenge for them. How so?
The hormone insulin is responsible for converting sugar and starches into energy. However, those with PCOS, as discussed earlier, are resistant to insulin. As a result, glucose accumulates in the blood stream.
Androgen, a male hormone , is also produced due to high insulin level. This hormone is responsible for the irregular periods, body hair growth, acne, and, or course, weight gain. Since the weight gain is caused by male hormones, the fat is usually stored in the abdomen just like in men. Thus, women with PCOS are of apple shape instead of being pear-shaped.
How to Lose Belly Fat: 6 Tips and Tricks
If you want to know how to lose belly fat even if you have PCOS, you might want to follow the recommendations in this post.
1. Pick healthy food over processed ones.Processed food have more fat and sugar in them and this will not help you maintain of lose your weight. As much as possible, go for healthy meals and create a diet plan so you don’t get tempted to go the easy route – fast food.
2. Skip on unhealthy desserts.Examples of these unhealthy (yet yummy 🙁 ) desserts are donuts, cakes, and ice cream. These food are filled with trans fat, carbohydrates, and are high in sugar – all of which cannot be easily converted by your body in energy. Thus, they are often left as stored fat which will hinder your body weight goals.
3. Eat on time.This will help you stabilize your blood glucose levels so always eat on time and do not skip your meals.
4. Drink more water. No, not carbonated drinks or juice as these contain lots of sugar. Stick to water if you extremely want to blast that belly fat away. If you are not that into water, you can add berries or lemons to it. Or if you want, you can go for foods that are rich in moisture. Examples are watermelons and soup.
5. Get up and about. How to lose belly fat? Just exercise. You don’t need to go to the gym and spend your hard-earned money for something that will add more stress to you (think travel time to the gym and anxiety of meeting other people). you can go to Youtube and find exercises that are simple enough to do at home.
If you don’t have time to do that, you can try parking a little farther from your office so you can get to walk a little more. This is a good starter.
6. Did you know that our bodies build up a hormone called cortisol when we get stressed out? And did you know that this hormone causes resistance to insulin? You all know what happens next to that – accumulation of fat in the mid-section (just as explained above). so take the time to relax. Have some “me” time or do something that calms and relaxes you.
How to lose belly fat? Simple! Just follow the 6 tried and tested tips in this post. Good luck!